Road Safety Awareness Month 2021
Road Safety & Traffic Month (18 January to 17 February 2021)
Hope Initiative, in association with Amity College, organised a very interesting and informative programme with Dr Khyati Garg (IPS, presently posted in Lucknow) and Dr. Gourdas Choudhuri, Chairman, Dept of Gastroenterology & Hepatobiliary Sciences, FMRI, Gurgaon on the afternoon of 17 February.
Dr. Khyati Garg, apart from being a Police Officer, is also a medical graduate, which makes her an important guest on this day as she was able to throw light on both the physical and violent aspects of road accidents as well as the medical aid required for the same.
She stressed upon the familiar but all too important aspect of change in attitude and behaviour of people in order to curb accidents and fatalities.
An important fact we none of us knew, wearing a helmet is mandatory for all above the age of FOUR. Unbelievable, none of us in the group of 205 audiences knew about this.
The importance of handling accident victims, the help which must be sought out first and foremost were discussed thoroughly.
Interesting was the response from the young group of audience and their eagerness to be aware of the reasons why we face these problems.
The commonly discredited attitudes, bribes… insolent behaviour of policemen and the problems they face were well touched upon by Dr. Garg and so probably next time we have to deal with them, there may be more sympathy.
Points to remember from the session :
1. Commonest cause of death is head or neck injury— so HELMET IS MANDATORY.
2. Injured victim has to be placed in a correct posture with support on the head and neck.
3. Keep cool and collected in presence of an accident.
4. First priority is to save the life of the victim & call for an ambulance.
5, Second to catch the culprit.
6. Observation of the vehicle which has caused the accident is important and may help in identifying the culprit.
7. Taking bribes and giving bribes are both punishable offences.
8. Not necessary to carry physical forms of a Driving License. Can be kept in Digital Locker in ones mobile.
9. Traffic must stop at the stop line before the zebra crossing.
10. Integrated Traffic Management System is being used to manage traffic—- improved technology to improve efficiency.
11. To have an improved traffic system BEHAVIOUR AND ATTITUDE CHANGE IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE.